May 2, 2013

Pick a Pretty Petticoat....or Crinoline??

 
 
This post was fueled by curiosity--I had to do some research on the difference between a petticoat and a crinoline. On the Internet I have seen these two terms used interchanged with each other and became a little confused. After a brief look-up, I quickly realized that historically a crinoline is cage-like and the petticoat is more like an underskirt-- both are worn for fullness.

Pick a Pretty Petticoat
...Or Crinoline

Crinoline Courtesy of fashion-era.com
The definitions I found explained a petticoat as "a skirt-like undergarment[s] worn for warmth or to give the skirt or dress the desired or fashionable shape" and crinoline as a "stiffened petticoat or rigid skirt-shaped structure of steel designed to support the skirts of a woman's dress into the required shape."
*I also found this interesting post about bustle periods.

The most memorable decades for crinoline-and-petticoat-wearing that stuck out in my mind were:
 
The 1850s-1870s





The 1950s
Vintage 50s Dress // 1950s Pink Tulle & Lace Prom Evening Wedding Dress // Pearl Pink Full Skirt Pary Dress with Bows

Simplicity 1191 - Vintage 1950s Womens Dress Pattern with  Bateau Neckline, Full Skirt


 
The Early 1960s
 
For some reason, I associate petticoats and full dresses with summer. Depending how hot your summers get, petticoat-wearing can get a little warm-- to say the least. Knowing me, I will probably wear them in the heat anyway! Since this was an interesting topic, and I am sure I'll do more in-depth probing later.  Until next time,

--Viola

1 comment:

  1. Growing up here in Canada, most people usually called the puffy tulle 1950s garment most of us associate with either of these words the most a crinoline, so this is the term I generally use myself, too. In recent years though, especially since started my blog, I've started using pettiskirt, petticoat and crinoline more interchangeably in a mid-century vintage context (but I think "crinoline" will always be my favourite term, just because it's what I've been using since I was a little girl).

    Fantastic post, dear gal!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete